bookstar

Yahoo! Avatars

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thing #5 - Microblogging

For your blog post, describe your experiences with Facebook and Twitter. Give suggestions as to how these resouces could aid students in and out of the classroom. Give ideas for using back-channeling at school.

My experience using Facebook and Twitter is limited at this time, but from what my friends, family and colleagues say and judging from the many links provided by Library 2Play, these two forms of microblogging are becoming the new way to communicate and keep in touch with people around the world. According to what I read, this is how students prefer to communicate today and if we want to reach them as educators, then we need to learn how to use these tools and how to access them in order for us to be truly innovative. Students who are studying a topic in government or social studies can actually twitter someone in Washington to directly ask them how they feel about a particular issue.

Back-channeling can be used to help engage students in a skype presentation, or an online conference or even when they are viewing a film. In this way, the presenter and viewer can become more in sync. Also, according to the links posted, this method allows the playing field to be levelled between the speaker and the audience. It also gives a voice to those students who might not participate verbally, but don't mind texting in their opinions, questions or suggestions.

1 comment:

bookworm gardener said...

Your last comment about the quieter, shy students was really good-- believe it or not, when I was younger I was very shy! There were many times I sat in a class or large group, and I felt I had something noteworthy to say, but I didn't comment verbally. I would have felt much more comfortable back chanelling in my comments or suggestions.